Contemporary Photojournalism Issue: Red-Tagging

 

Photo by Madeline Jacyszn, 10/23/23
 
Photo by Madeline Jacyszn, 10/23/23

Photo by Madeline Jacyszn, 10/23/23

This is a pop-up collage displaying the effects of red-tagging on photojournalists. Red-tagging is when a journalist has been branded as a member or an associate of an enemy party of the government, leading to blacklisting and harassment of the journalist in the hopes of stifling their work. This topic is of interest to me because red-tagging is a problem in the Philippines, my mom’s country, where photojournalists will be branded as terrorists or communists so the government has a public excuse to kill them. It is also particularly insidious for photojournalists due to economic circumstances, since the job market is still recovering from the pandemic and Filipino photojournalists must contend with lacking compensation for their work.

Specifically, my collage is depicting a photojournalist who is being hunted after being red-tagged, as shown by the red paper I used to depict a laser sight, because being killed by the government is one of the many dangers photojournalists have to face when they're red-tagged. It does integrate some drawing, such as with the camera, but it is less of a stand-up illustration than a stand-up collage, which does have its own benefits, as I was able to play with some different textured and patterned papers. It was also my first time doing paper engineering, which involves the skill of crafting the paper mechanisms that make the elements of my project be able to stand up and fold over without crumpling, which I learned thanks to this video teaching how to make a basic pop-up book page. Below, I took an image from above that actually shows the paper mechanisms that I used from the video that enable my collage to act as a pop-up project.


Photo by Madeline Jacyszn, 10/23/23










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Photojournalism to Me?

How Black and White Roll Film Changed Photojournalism